Seriously, look at that broccoli. So Green!
This is one of my favorite go to meals, ready in about 7 minutes (I can do it in about 5 minutes if I don’t want the bacon so crispy).
Here’s how you do it…
- 4 strips of bacon (or 3… or 5… totally up to you!)
- a head of broccoli, cut or torn into florets
- about a tablespoon of minced garlic (or you can dice the equivalent amount of garlic cloves)
- 1/4 cup of sliced raw almonds (I buy these in bulk and throw them into dishes)
- a table spoon of grated parmesan cheese, optional, for taste
- a couple pinches of salt or garlic salt, again, to your taste
Here’s what I do
- I cut up the bacon into about half-inch slivers with kitchen scissors. So quick and easy. I throw this into a pot (not a pan) and cook on high heat.
- Once the fat starts to render into grease, I throw in the garlic and stir it around. The bacon should be cooking pretty well, and the minced garlic cooks fast.
- During this time, I wash and break/cut apart the broccoli head into bit sized florets.
- Once the bacon is mostly cooked, there should be plenty of grease in the pot. I put the almonds in at this point. I let them cook in the grease until they’re golden brown. The bacon should also be reddish brown by this point.
- I dump the broccoli in and swirl and mix it around in the pot for about a minute, maybe two. This warms up the broccoli, but doesn’t cook it all the way through. It makes it a vibrant green and-most importantly-covers it with the bacon grease, garlic and almost… Mmmmmm…. If you’re like me and like salt, I also add the salt at this point. If you want to have melted or slightly crispy parmesan cheese, I’d add that at this point as well.
- Once this is done, I put it into a big bowl and scarf it down.
Looking for extra protein? Add an egg. Or three. Put it/them in when you add the broccoli, and stir around. You’ll get a scrambled bacon and broccoli.
If you’re doing salt AND parmesan cheese, make sure it doesn’t get too salty. Remember, it’s all to your taste.
That’s it. Simple and quick. Now I can eat something healthy and get back to work without feeling like I ate a truck.